Responsible for preparing and/or coordinating the preparation of full estimates on large and complex projects and providing complete conceptual and total bid prices.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Commercial/industrial/residential experience and/or training
- Senior Estimator – 10-12 Years
- Estimator – 8 Years
- Knowledge of codes
- Knowledge of systems (i.e. fire alarm, security, etc)
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Ability to create conceptual estimates based on budgetary proposals and expectations
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage
- Knowledge of construction/safety practices
- Technology Skills – Basic level Word and Excel; Intermediate Outlook; Draw and interpret graphs.
- Communication Skills – Verbal skills to speak before groups of customers and employees. Written skills to produce routine reports and professional correspondence.
- Interpersonal Skills – Personable and able to build relationships both internally and externally. Represent Nickle in a professional manner at events.
- Ability to follow instructions in written, verbal, or diagram form.
- Problem-Solving – provide recommendations to solve problems.
- Accuracy – Must be detail oriented and organized.
- Adaptability – Willingness to adjust schedule to meet the demands of the job. Ability to multi-task.
- Energy – Desire to learn new material including technology such as becoming proficient with estimating software and spreadsheet software.
- Sales – Ability to sell and cross-sell products and services of the company.
- Integrity/Honesty – Behave in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Show consistency in words and actions.
Primary Duties & Responsiblities
- Establish and develop relationships with clients, potential customers, and vendors
- Review bid notices, requests, and advertisements with the estimating team to make informed decisions on the best opportunities for the company.
- Attend pre-bid meetings, walk-throughs, and field surveys.
- Ensure timely completion of estimates by understanding the proper bid date and time and the correct delivery method/location for bids.
- Review construction documents and understand the scope of work in order to execute take-offs. Input take-offs in a computer spreadsheet and On Screen Take-Off (OST) program.
- Compose scope letters, and review estimates and revisions for completeness and accuracy prior to delivery of bid.
- Disburses bid documents and obtain pricing for materials from vendors/subcontractors.
- Prepare cost analysis for material, labor, equipment, subcontractor, and overhead installation costs.
- Review contracts and/or purchase orders for accuracy and to ensure documentation matches estimate (scope, dollar amount, schedule, referenced available documents, and issue dates).
- Inform the Chief Estimator of any observed inaccuracies or omissions in quoted items or computer databases.
- Schedule project turnover meetings, 24-hour bid review meetings, and pre-estimate meetings.
- Assist project manager with job setup and pre-con form.
- Develop and maintain resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, etc.
- Attend departmental meetings.
- Seek out and attend educational opportunities (quarterly/monthly).
- Attend events and after-work networking functions (quarterly/monthly).
- Determine all bidders and competition for the project.
- Identify any special safety considerations on the project and incorporate them into the proposal.
- Notify operations, in a timely manner, when a project manager/foreman must be submitted on a bid form.
- Identify cost impact items required for the project (i.e. liquidated damages, P & P bod, extra insurance requirements, etc.)
- Maintain communication with operations to ensure proper manpower if awarded the project.
- Responsible for managing and training the development of Junior Estimators.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com